Saturday, 17 January 2015

The Theory of Everything

I've been wanting to watch this movie for the past week, mostly because of the raving reviews. It's already received nominations for the 2015 BAFTASs including 'best leading actor', 'best leading actress' and 'outstanding British film', so I entered the screen with high expectations, and it didn't disappoint! The cinematography was incredible. I found myself paying more attention to the camera angles than the story line as detailed close ups were repeatedly used to show Eddie Redmayne's expressions, several long panning shots were also used to show Cambridge University, the looked unbelievable with the framing and filming of these shots. I found the sound in the Theory of everything particularly interesting. In certain scenes all diegetic sound was removed and the audience were left in complete silence, giving them time to think and process. There was power in the silence, especially in Steven Hawking's diagnosis scene. I think the lack of sound is a technique that could be used in our media film as it will emphasise the emptiness of the setting.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment